You can find the general guidelines under which I post about things (as far as spoilers and such) in this post.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Books -- John Moore's Heroics For Beginners

I've decided on my book list to only plan one book ahead rather than two, especially as my backlog stack isn't immediately in front of me.

You'll recall my qualms about Heroics For Beginners, though. Unfounded. It's physically short (under 300 pages if I recall correctly), and a quick read. I didn't find it uproariously funny, but it was still quite amusing, with the characters being completely aware of genre conventions and playing with the readers' expectations.

Regular guy (if maybe a bit persuasive) Prince Kevin of Rassendas is courting Princess Rebecca of Deserae, with competition by heavy-duty military guy Lord Logan of Angostura. Things are going well for Kevin (especially since he already has something of a relationship with the princess), when Deserae's Ancient Artifact (a model seven!) is stolen. Logan volunteers to lead a force to retrieve the artifact and defeat the Evil Overlord, Lord Voltmeter, in return for Princess Rebecca's hand. Kevin decides to try to beat him to it.

It's amusing and quick, reminiscent of a mix of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and one of the Zucker-Abrams-Zucker parodies (like Airplane).

No comments: